Development Process: Editing Techniques

As mentioned in a previous post cutting to the beat is a simple yet effective editing technique and I wanted to see if there was anything else I could use to make my work even better. Slow motion was a technique that I thought of however after trying it out it didn’t fit with the video due to it being a fast paced song, it ruined the flow of the different clips and the music. I then thought of doing the opposite and speeding up the footage, giving it a chaotic feel to it and this would fit in with the feel of the video. I plan on using this technique a few times within the video as it connotes uncertainty and chaos, allowing the audience to get a small glimpse into how having a mental illness would be like. Another technique would be another simple yet effect one which is reversing the footage, reversing the footage can give a complete different feel to the original clip, not only this there is other techniques you can use as well as this one, by having the original footage and then the same clip reversed you can overlap the two, lowering the opacity of one of the clips it shows both pieces of footage at the same time. This can sometimes confuse the audience as it obviously doesn’t look right however for the theme I am going for within my video it was a perfect technique to use to really hammer home the randomness of someones thoughts. Below are some examples of the techniques previously talked about: